Membership Meeting

December 3, 2010 – USRowing Convention – Tampa, FL

 

CRCA General Membership Meeting Minutes

Submitted by: Steve Kish

Start time: 9:45am EST

Present:  BOD members: Robyn Horner, Steve Kish, Jane LaRiviere, Liz O’Leary, Steve Pritzker, Martin Stone, Kate Strum, Bill Zack.  Guest present:  DI Rowing Committee members Joe Wilhelm (Northeastern University Head Coach) and Marshall Foley (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference).  General Members: Alabama, Bucknell, Duke, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Hamilton, Iowa, Kansas, Miami, Michigan, Minnesota, Northeastern, Navy, Notre Dame, Nova-Southeastern, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Tulsa, UCLA, Villanova, Virginia and Washington State. If your program was represented, please let us know so we can correct the minutes.

 

Introductory Remarks:  Bill Zack opened the meeting by introducing and acknowledging Bill Tytus of Pocock Racing Shells, our primary sponsor.  Also, John Flynn of Powerview and Duke Robinson of the San Diego Crew Classic were given a moment to say a few words about what they have to offer.  Bill also relayed comments from Glen Merry of USRowing, as Glen was ill and could not attend.  Glen’s communication focused on the USRowing Collegiate Regatta and the intention to keep it going, for a minimum of 5 years, focusing on sculling and small boats while also providing racing opportunities for eights.

 

 

Committee Reports:

 

Treasuer’s Report

Jane LaRiviere reported that we have $30,614 in checking and $14,532 in savings.  She also thanked Pocock and commented how the CRCA student-athletes awards would not be possible without Pocock’s sponsorship.

 

Membership

Steve Kish reported that membership is at a typical level for this time of year and that he will be working to help the board find ways to connect with the entire membership in a more effective manner.  He will also be looking into ways in which the current CRCA website might better serve the entire membership.  He also estimated that there are about 50 coaches who have not joined and they will be invited in the near future.  The following info has been added at the time of writing these minutes… We currently have 270 members: 128 assistant coaches, 115 head coaches, 16 graduate assistants, 5 associate members, 3 volunteer assistant coaches, 3 sport administrators.  Of the 270, 56 are DII/DIII coaches.  The above estimate that there are 50 other potential members is incorrect… there are closer to 100.  Additional potential coaching members exist in the following DI regions: South(15), Central(13), Mid-Atlantic(12), West(10), NewEngland(5).  DII/DIII has 40 potential additional members.

 

Legislative Review

Bill Zack reviewed the CRCA response to the NCAA regarding recruiting days.  There were no objections to the letter that was sent out to the membership on November 18th.  He will keep the membership informed when the NCAA responds.

 

Awards

Kate Strum announced that there are minor changes being made to the awards timeline and that coaches should email her with any questions or issues.

 

Nominating

Robyn Horner had no report, as expected at this time of year.

 

Coaching Education

Robyn Horner announced she will be looking into two potential dates for the conference, as well as potential speakers, and that scholarships will be available and evaluated by the Coaching Education committee.  She asked for input and suggestions to make the conference a valuable experience as well as to increase attendance.  Suggestions included focusing on top coaches for speakers and also revisiting the sessions that were tailored for assistant coaches.

 

Lightweight

Lori Dauphiny was not able to attend, and there was no report.  Email her with any questions.

 

Coaches Poll

Steve Pritzker described how the first year of the three-boat poll progressed, thanked the pollsters for their attention to detail, and asked for feedback.  A few questions were raised regarding whether polling would change in the future as the NCAA championships continue to evolve, with our without AQ’s, etc.  At least for these two years, Steve said he didn’t expect any changes to the polling process.  He emphasized the need for coaches to continue to serve as pollsters, recognizing that it most definitely is a time-intensive job for everyone.

 

Hall of Fame

Liz O’Leary announced that there will some minor updates and changes to the website and nomination process with regards to the Hall of Fame.  Liz asked that coaches think about candidates to nominate.

 

Other Items

Kevin Sauer brought up the question of whether rowing coaches would prefer to change the allowed GA position into a fourth paid coach.  Discussion ensued regarding the costs of a GA vs. the costs of a paid coach, as well as whether it would be a part-time coach or full-time.  

 

Championship and Competition

This topic was saved for last, as it was assumed that it would invite the most discussion.  Marshall Foley began by outlining the current timeline for the implementation of AQ’s in 2013.  The budget for play-ins will be voted on during the NCAA Championship and Sports Management Cabinet meetings in June of 2011 and if there are insufficient funds, the DI Rowing Committee will need to come up with a play-in alternative that works within the allocated budget.  The exact play-in plan will be determined and announced by June of 2012.  He also

said the DI Rowing Committee will be putting together the criteria for conferences to follow in order to qualify for their designated AQ spot.  As we all know, the NCAA requires a conference to have six teams competing in order to have an AQ.  The DI Rowing Committee is going to create a definition for a “team.”  In other words, a team will need to have two eights and a four competing at the conference championships (without doubling up student-athletes).  The current topic they are discussing is whether there will be a requirement that those three separate boats compete a certain amount of times over the course of the season (spring, or fall/spring).  The current number being considered is six, but encompassing both fall and spring.

 

Martin Stone then introduced a synopsis of some ideas regarding an alternative to awarding AQ’s to conferences who sponsor women’s rowing.  The basic framework includes returning to an individual team sport, and attempting to somehow re-secure at-large eights.  The assumption is that the numbers would be similar to 2008 (12 teams and 4 at large eights).  Conference championships would be held in late April or early May, followed by five open regional championships.  Winners of the five regional would qualify automatically for the NCAA.  Then seven full teams would be selected.  Finally, conference champions who were not selected would then be selected for the remaining 4 at-large eight positions.  The idea is that based on the last 15 years of results, at least eight conference champions would be at the NCAAs, and probably four of them would only be there with an at-large eight.  Based on Marshall Foley’s estimation, Martin said that at least 70% of the CRCA membership would need to be in favor of a new proposal before the NCAA would consider revisiting what was recommended by the DI Rowing Committee and ratified by the Championships and Sports Management Cabinet last year.

 

With all due respect to Wendy Davis’ request that the minutes be spot on, it is difficult to encapsulate everyone’s individual comments without having recorded the meeting.  In general, Kevin Sauer asked whether this kind of proposal would require returning to an Individual Team Sport.  George Jenkins noted that we would lose spots (56 to be exact) if we returned to 12 teams and 4 at-large eights.  Jane LaRiviere emphasized that we need to unify our coaching group because “united we stand, and divided we fall.”  Mark Rothstein said it doesn’t make sense to return to being an Individual Team Sport.  Bill Zack noted that there is quite a bit of resistance by the coaching group to accept that a “Team” is comprised of all three boats.  Lisa Glenn emphasized that we should take our time before we propose any more changes.

 

Marshall made note of an initiative that seems to be circulating at the highest level of the NCAA.  The NCAA Board of Directors, made up of school presidents, is rumored to be discussing the possibility of awarding AQ’s to every conference that sponsors a sport.  The point is to confirm the value of conference sponsorship and affiliation, and to also standardize the overall AQ system.  It would be a general directive, and then the folks at the next level of the NCAA would then be charged with figuring out how to implement it.  In the case of women’s rowing, it could lead to an increase in the championship field, as there are 10 conferences which will be eligible by 2013 (ACC, Big East, Big 10, CAA, Pac10, Patriot, Conference USA, Ivy, MACC and WCC).  The board will be in contact with Marshall in January to hear what the prevailing wind was regarding this topic.

 

 

Meeting Adjourned – 11:20am.

 


Note
:  An impromptu 30′ membership meeting was held a week later at the Joy of Sculling Conference in Saratoga Springs, NY.  Steve Kish and Will Porter presented most of what is in the above minutes.

Annual Board Meeting

December 2, 2010 – USRowing Convention – Tampa, FL

 

CRCA Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

Submitted by: Steve Kish

Start time: 6pm EST

Present:  BOD members: Robyn Horner, Steve Kish, Jane LaRiviere, Liz O’Leary, Steve Pritzker, Martin Stone, Kate Strum, Bill Zack.  Guest present:  DI Rowing Committee members Joe Wilhelm (Northeastern University Head Coach) and Marshall Foley (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference).

 

Approval of Minutes:  Minutes from November 22nd conference call were not approved as there were only eight board members present, and a quorum of nine are required to officially conduct business.

 

 

Committee Reports:

 

Treasuer’s Report

Jane reported that we have $30,614 in checking and $14,532 in savings.  She has retained a CPA to assist with the filing of taxes, as the requirements have changed for organizations like ours.  She also reported receiving the Pocock Sponsorship check from 2009.

 

Championship and Competition:  Martin Stone gave a synopsis of some ideas regarding an alternative to awarding AQ’s to conferences who sponsor women’s rowing.  The basic framework includes returning to an individual team sport, and attempting to somehow re-secure at-large eights.  The assumption is that the numbers would be similar to 2008 (12 teams and 4 at large eights).  Conference championships would be held in late April or early May, followed by five open regional championships.  Winners of the five regional would qualify automatically for the NCAA.  Then seven full teams would be selected.  Finally, conference champions who were not selected would then be selected for the remaining 4 at-large eight positions.  The idea is that based on the last 15 years of results, at least eight conference champions would be at the NCAAs, and probably four of them would only be there with an at-large eight.  Marshall Foley noted that he believes we would have to have at least 70% of the DI programs in favor of a new proposal before the NCAA would consider revisiting what was recommended by the DI Rowing Committee and ratified by the Championships and Sports Management Cabinet last year.

 

Marshall also emphasized that one of the key philosophical pillars behind every NCAA championship is that the championship field should represent the full breadth and depth of the membership.  Specifically, it has never been the NCAA’s mission to bring the top (fill in field size) teams to the (fill in sport) championship.  Marshall noted that the NCAA typically funds regional championships and that would be something that would have to be ironed out, as he doubts there would be any funds.  As for the current plan for AQ’s to be in place for 2013, everything is moving ahead accordingly.  The budget for play-ins will be voted on during the NCAA Championship and Sports Management Cabinet meetings in June and if there are insufficient funds, the DI Rowing Committee will need to come up with a play-in alternative that works within the budget. 

 

Marshall made note of an initiative that seems to be circulating at the highest level of the NCAA.  The NCAA Board of Directors, made up of school presidents, is rumored to be discussing the possibility of awarding AQ’s to every conference that sponsors a sport.  The point is to confirm the value of conference sponsorship and affiliation, and to also standardize the overall AQ system.  It would be a general directive, and then the folks at the next level of the NCAA would then be charged with figuring out how to implement it.  In the case of women’s rowing, it could lead to an increase in the championship field, as there are 10 conferences which will be eligible by 2013 (ACC, Big East, Big 10, CAA, Pac10, Patriot, Conference USA, Ivy, MACC and WCC).  The board will be in contact with Marshall in January to hear what the prevailing wind was regarding this topic.

 

Finally, Marshall also said the DI Rowing Committee will be putting together the criteria for conferences to follow in order to qualify for their designated AQ spot.  As we all know, the NCAA requires a conference to have six teams competing in order to have an AQ.  The DI Rowing Committee is going to create a definition for a “team.”  In other words, a team will need to have two eights and a four competing at the conference championships (without doubling up student-athletes).  The current topic they are discussing is whether there will be a requirement that those three separate boats compete a certain amount of times over the course of the season (spring, or fall/spring).  The current number being considered is six, but encompassing both fall and spring.

 

Legislative Review –Bill followed up on the proposed CRCA response to the NCAA regarding recruiting days.  The present board members supported the letter he sent out to the membership on November 18th.  Bill will ask for any last minute suggestions or changes from the membership at tomorrow’s general membership meeting. 

 

Hall of Fame – Liz O’Leary briefed the board on suggested updates and changes to the website and nomination process with regards to the Hall of Fame.  Discussion focused on whether there should be definitive requirements for nominees, meaning, do they need to be retired from coaching, or perhaps at least 25 years into their careers?  Liz will continue to look into the matter and will solicit feedback from the membership committee.  Also, discussion ensued regarding the best venue and timing for honoring an inductee.

 

Membership – Steve will provide each board member a list of potential members in their region who have not signed up to date.  The idea is to send them a personal email, inviting them to become a member and emphasizing the benefits of membership.  Steve also asked for permission to look into additions or improvements we might make to our website in an effort to support the full membership.

Awards – Kate had no report, as expected at this time of year.

 

Nominating – Robyn had no report, as expected at this time of year.

 

Lightweight – Lori Dauphiny was not able to attend, and there was no report.

 

Coaches Poll – Steve had no report, as things have been ironed out since the change to polling all three crews.  He emphasized the need for coaches to continue to serve as pollsters, recognizing that it most definitely is a time-intensive job for everyone.

 

Coaching Education – Robyn Horner was elected.  She will be looking into two potential dates for the conference, as well as potential speakers.  Scholarships will be available and evaluated by the Coaching Education committee.

 

 

Other Items

Administrative Assistant Compensation – Jane moved that we increase the salary for the CRCA Administrative Assistant.  Discussion ensued and all eight present board members voted in favor.  An official vote will take place via email.

 

Recognition of outgoing board members – not addressed.

Board of Directors Conference Call

CRCA Board of Directors Conference Call Minutes

November 22, 2010

Submitted by: Steve Kish

Start time: 1pm EST

On call:  Lori Dauphiny, Robyn Horner, Steve Kish, Jane LaRiviere, Liz O’Leary, Susan Parkman, Will Porter, Steve Pritzker, Tessa Spillane, Martin Stone, Kate Strum, Bill Zack

 

Election of Officers

Bill Zack was re-elected as President, Jane LaRiviere was re-elected as Vice President / Treasurer and Steve Kish was elected as Secretary.

 

 

Election of Committee Chairs and Standing Committee Reports:

 

Championship and Competition:  Will Porter and Martin Stone were elected.  Will submitted his opinion that he believes the CRCA membership could and should reach further consensus regarding their support of how programs qualify for or are selected for the NCAA championships.  Furthermore, should we continue to consider the issue of whether rowing is a team sport or individual team sport?  Will believes that with the current team sport model, the fastest varsity eight in the country will not qualify for the NCAA championships within the next five years.  And, that the Eastern Sprints will come to an end because of conference championships.  He proposed that we work to come up with a better option, involving regional championships, with access to all programs, as well as the at-large eight option.  Much discussion ensued and each board member submitted thoughts regarding the merits of regional championships, as well as the idea of building consensus amongst our full membership.  Will and Martin will be putting together a proposal to circulate to the board in the coming weeks/months.

 

Legislative Review – Bill Zack was re-elected.  Bill followed up on the proposed CRCA response to the NCAA regarding recruiting days.  He has received permission to submit the proposal after our membership meeting at the USRowing Convention.  Further discussion will be solicited at the membership meeting on December 3rd at the US Rowing Convention.l

 

Membership – Steve Kish was elected.  Tessa Spillane, as outgoing committee chair, reported that as of Nov 15th, we have 263 paid coaches.  Steve will pick up where Tessa left off, contacting potential members regarding their membership.

 

Awards – Tessa was re-elected and Kate was elected as co-chair.  No report, questions or issues regarding awards.

 

Nominating – Robyn Horner was elected.  No report, questions or issues regarding nominating.

 

Lightweight – Lori Dauphiny was re-elected.  No report, questions or issues regarding nominating.  She will reconnect with Al Acosta regarding lightweight topics for consideration.

 

 

Election of Ad Hoc Committee Chairs and Ad Hoc Committee Reports

 

Hall of Fame – Liz O’Leary was re-elected and Susan Parkman was elected.  There will be no inductee’s at this year’s convention.

 

Coaches Poll – Steve Pritzker was re-elected as DI moderator.  Discussion focused on last year’s change to polling of all three individual boats.  It was a little difficult at first, but definitely seemed to smooth out.  The end results suggest that it was accurate.

 

Coaching Education – Robyn Horner was elected.  Discussion focused on whether the conference was worthwhile with only 10 attendees and whether there was a better time to hold it.

 

 

Other Items

 

Sponsorship – Pocock will be given ‘right of first refusal’ as their contract is up this year.

 

Capital One Cup – Bill will look into it and report back to the board.

 

Potential website improvements – not addressed due to time.

 

Recognition of outgoing board members – not addressed due to time.